18 August 2020
Dear Optimist Parents,
SA Sailing has asked the Committee to engage with our membership and get some insight into what the class suggests for the Class National Championships.
- Would you be in support of the Class Nationals remaining as part of the Youth National Championships format? YES/ NO
- Would you support a stand alone Class National Championships at another time and Venue? YES / NO
- Is December a good time of the year for your family to attend the Nationals? YES/NO
- Please suggest 3 possible dates for the competition.
- Please suggest the next venue keeping in mind the event would need to rotate.
Please Reply to this mail when you’ve had time to look at the options and discussed it with your sailors. I’m looking forward to your responses.
083 626 7597
26 June 2020
To answer everyone questions first…. As of now there is still no answer from Ministry on our application, and with the deadline only ending at midnight, there is not likely to be any news or updated issued today.
On our regular touch base with the Government this morning, we know that they have started the process and have received a large number of applications. We also note that by their announcement of the 24th They have reviewed soccer and given them the go ahead, this is so far the only federation to have received this which may mean we in for a bit of a wait still.
As much as the water is calling everyone out to it, we continue to urge and remind everyone to please be patient. We are not allowed to be out there under the current laws and we can only get out there on Ministries approval. As you will note by their attached communications (esp page 2), they are seeing this in a very serious light and we would really like them not to have any further reason to keep us off the water and use examples of regulations breaches to deny the application as submitted.
You will also note in these coms the very specific requirements that they are asking sport to compile under. We have addressed all of these in our responds and application and are hopeful that it will be accepted.
We have kicked off the process with clubs, and they are working away on getting the necessary reviewed and in place currently. The hope is that by the time we hear back on our application, clubs will be in a position to signed off as compliant as quickly as possible to get everyone sailing.
Once again, we thank you for your understanding and patience
18 June 2020
Following President Cyril Ramaphosa’s update on Wednesday 17 June 2020 non-contact sport will be allowed to commence. Following lobbying by SA Sailing over the past month our sport was classified as a non-contact sport in the Sports regulations issued on the of 11 June.
We have engaged with the Department of Sport this morning, whom have confirmed that the announcement does not currently amend the sports regulations as was released last week.
In order to commence sailing, we were required under these sports regulations to make application around very concise requirements. We have now completed and submitted our application and need to wait till the closing date of 26 June for the Minister of Sport approval.
Please note that as of today we cannot commence sailing however the wait for a few days for final approval is key to the successful return of our sport.
SA Sailing will today be communicating with clubs, sailing schools and classes to explain the detailed protocols to be put in place in order for sailing to commence. We will work closely with the clubs so as to be in a position to open clubs once we have the necessary approval. These requirements are there to protect all our sailors and to contain any spread of the virus.
Lastly, we appeal to all of our members to be aware of the severe consequences of this virus which is still rapidly growing in number of new cases across our country and has already taken the lives of some of our members. It is the responsibility of each one of us to ensure that we adhere to the regulations and assist our sailing venues to maintain protocols to stop the spread of this pandemic.
One month later we still remain within the government lock down legislation however we have seen a definite change over the last week that offers us hope that we will be back on the water in the near future, provided the number of cases and deaths do not dramatically increase over the next few weeks.
During the last month SA Sailing has been in constant communication with two key bodies that regulate our sport;
SASCOC/ Dept of Sport and Recreation and SAMSA.
SASCOC are running the COVID War Room that is focusing on two key areas; access to funding for the sport sector and its sporting federations and returning to active sports. Based on feedback from Sport Federations the SASCOC
War Room are liaising with the Dept of Sport and Recreation and Government bodies to agree the terms by which all sports can resume. During this time SA Sailing has submitted a detailed document describing how we are in a position to enable on the water sailing from Level 3, what controls that clubs, classes and event organisers will need to implement in order to allow sailing, and what government regulations would need to change in order to enable this. As noted in the Minister of Sport presentation on Sunday evening this document, together with those from other sport federations, is under review and we await feedback. We are chasing this on a regular basis.
One of the key regulations that we noted in our document that required changing was that SAMSA needed to lift their ban on recreational and sailing craft using the waterways as was detailed in SAMSA Notice 27 of 2020. We are pleased to note that this was addressed and has now been cancelled and replaced with SAMSA Notice 31 of 2020 which was released last night (see link to notice further down in the newsletter) . This notice allows sports and recreational use for all vessels with valid certificates of fitness (COF), together with the resumption of surveying of vessels and allowance of COF’s to be completed, subject to the overall lockdown legislation which currently restricts movement.
As the SAMSA notice is one of the two pieces of the puzzle that we need approval on to allow us to resume sailing we await the feedback from SASCOC/ Dept of Sport to provide us with the green light to resume sailing. As of this afternoon the legislated regulatory changes have not been finalised for release and this means we cannot proceed with sailing at this stage. We will update everybody that moment that this is granted.
Although the regulations of Level 3 have allowed us much anticipated “freedom” I would urge everybody to remain vigilant and wary of COVID 19. The infection cases and death rates are on the rise in South Africa and we all remain susceptible to this. There is a strong light at the end of the tunnel and let’s keep working together to get as many of us through this and back on the water in as strong an economic situation as possible.
Intasure, our Member Benefit partner, have confirmation in writing that any boats insured by Intasure with infinity will not be prejudiced in any way for matters out of their control until the appropriate level of Covid 19 allows for COF’s to be renewed.All cover will remain valid during this time.
However, It will be up to each insurer to provide assurance on this to boat owners.
Looking forward to seeing everybody on the water soon.
For all information on the continuously developing COVID-19 situation, you can now head to:
IODA has been informed by the Organizing Committee of the 2020 IODA World Championship that they are unable to host the 2020 IODA World Championship.
Riva del Garda was ready to make the Optimist sailor’s experience an unforgettable World Championship.
We are informed that “IODA Members who have officially registered and made payments for the event will be contacted shortly to start the refund process for entry fees, charter boats and support boats. The fees will be refunded in full, net of bank charges.”